Today has been one of those days that I crave my Mother's cooking, so when I spotted some black eyed beans in the freezer (yes I'm one of those anal people that doesn't use tinned beans), I thought traditional Portuguese salad with a mrs roomtobreathe twist for supper. A perfect easy to put together salad from store cupboard ingredients. I used samphire and tinned tuna in this which is not the norm. However, I had the samphire in the fridge and had no salt cod, both definitely worked well here so I'll be using it again! Let's face it there's not many of us that have salt cod lying around.
Ingredients for two, very easy to double up:
- Enough black eyed beans for two people I'll leave it to your discretion, 1 tin is probably sufficient.
- 2 hard boiled eggs then sliced
- 1 tin of tuna/300g Salt cod soaked for at least 24 hours and boiled
- A handful of black olives
- 1 chopped red or yellow pepper
- 1 sliced red onion
- A handful of chopped fresh coriander
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- Sherry vinegar to taste
- Salt and Pepper
- A drizzle of olive oil
Place all the ingredients, except those of the dressing, in a large bowl and mix gently so as not to break up the eggs. In a small bowl place the crushed garlic, vinegar and olive oil and mix well. Pour over the salad and enjoy! Best served at room temperature or warm.