The beauty of Autumn

As I did the school run this morning it struck me how the colours of Autumn have taken over the lush greens of Summer. Autumn is without a doubt my favourite season of the year, all my favourite rich, deep jewel colours come into their own...the walk through the village is looking particularly pretty at the moment so this afternoon I took my camera with me to capture some of the prettiness whilst I strolled leisurely to pick up Matilda.

Today dealt us a beautiful Autumnal day filled with glorious light glowing from the low hot sun. Living out of the city really makes you aware of the changing seasons, nature is really all around you. A perfect day to end the month of September and welcome in October tomorrow.  Keats' captured this time of year perfectly in this first verse of his 'To Autumn' written in 1819 and published a year later.


Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness, 
        Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun; 
    Conspiring with him how to load and bless 
        With fruit the vines that round the thatch-eves run; 
    To bend with apples the moss’d cottage-trees, 
        And fill all fruit with ripeness to the core; 
            To swell the gourd, and plump the hazel shells 
    With a sweet kernel; to set budding more, 
        And still more, later flowers for the bees, 
        Until they think warm days will never cease, 
            For Summer has o’er-brimm’d their clammy cells.









Happy Autumn!






Comments