Discovering Birdie Fortescue in Norfolk

Situated in the heart of the picturesque Norfolk village of Burnham Market Birdie Fortescue is an impossibly beautiful interiors and gift shop. I spotted it as we arrived at our cottage located only a couple of doors down. I popped in briefly on our first day there with Matilda who was equally mesmerised, then returned on our last day camera slung over my shoulder and my credit card in my hand.

Packed full with beautiful items hand picked by Birdie herself, a lady who clearly has impeccable taste. She began her career with the well known interiors company Colefax and Fowler as a designer and decorator. Then her attention turned to antique dealing making quite a name for herself. Her career went on the back burner for a while as she focussed on her two young children, luckily for us she decided to set up her new shop in a striking converted warehouse just off the village green.

Large pieces of exquisite Antique furniture live alongside towering piles of luxurious linens and cushions. From gorgeous glassware to little inexpensive trinkets all bases are covered, highly affordable items as well as the treasures that one must save up for everything is eye catchingly displayed, objects grouped together as if you were taking a sneeky look around someone's home. A veritable feast for the eyes, I warn you temptation is everywhere in this shop. In fact, I could happily make it my home.

I did indulge and treated myself to a cosy wool cushion and a small vase, I just had to take a little piece of this shop's atmosphere home with me. Birdie's website will soon allow for online shopping too so no need to be in Norfolk, the shop can come to a computer near you! Though if you are in Norfolk it is well worth taking a trip here. There is something for everyone and for every budget.




























Comments