Winter: A Dirge by Robert Burns

In honour of Robert Burns and the freezing temperatures that have hit our shores this past week, I thought I'd share with you Burns' Poem Winter: A Dirge. It's always struck a chord with me, whilst others dread Winter I embrace it. I complain about the cold, ice on the car in the mornings. constantly cold hands, but nothing beats a crisp clear day such as it was today to replenish the soul...


The wintry west extends his blast,
And hail and rain does blaw;
Or the stormy north sends driving forth
The blinding sleet and snaw:
While, tumbling brown, the burn comes down,
And roars frae bank to brae;
And bird and beast in covert rest,
And pass the heartless day.

"The sweeping blast, the sky o'ercast,"
The joyless winter day
Let others fear, to me more dear
Than all the pride of May:
The tempest's howl, it soothes my soul,
My griefs it seems to join;
The leafless trees my fancy please,
Their fate resembles mine!

Thou Power Supreme, whose mighty scheme
These woes of mine fulfil,
Here firm I rest; they must be best,
Because they are Thy will!
Then all I want-O do Thou grant
This one request of mine!-
Since to enjoy Thou dost deny,
Assist me to resign.

Comments