The Tooth Fairy's been...

This happened last weekend...



Yup Matilda's first tooth dropped out without any warning or build up. No it fell out last Saturday afternoon whilst she was watching a film with Daddy. Just like that. In fact it was amazingly the very same first tooth that arrived when she was just 7 months old. We had gone away for a few days to a friend's place the New Forest. We awoke one morning to find it had popped up. First in, first out...

So while I was mooching around Bury St Edmunds, my baby's tooth was no longer. My heart sank when I read the husband's message. For this is the real start of waving good bye to being my baby. As the adult teeth come in and as she grows longer limbs there'll be nothing left to visually remind us that once she was a tiny dependent baby. I'm in no rush to see her grown up, I enjoy far too much spending time talking nonsense, playing her made up, games soaking up every charming moment. What I'd really like is for time to stand still, this is such a gorgeous time in childhood where the world is yet to be discovered, innocence prevails. It's wonderful to revisit this with my own child, I'd rather not move on to the next stroppy teenage stage please.

I just couldn't help myself that day, I cried. In the middle of a busy market Saturday I cried. For the loss of the tooth but also for the loss of innocence.

There was undoubtedly a part of me that was sad I wasn't there to witness the event though at the same time I was happy her Daddy had been around for this momentous occasion. We've been inseparable since the day she was born so I've been witness to a lot of firsts which her Daddy sadly hasn't. This was a precious moment for him to share with her.

January 2016 has been a weird old month, I'm looking forward to being one step closer to Spring and finally ridding our family of viruses and illness. Having said that I'm home today with a poorly little girl who is willing her next tooth to fall out by asking for endless rounds of apple. Not chopped up so the chance of it falling out is maximised! I've just made her favourite Lemon Drizzle Cake with this foolproof recipe from Tana Ramsey though I would recommend using the zest of two lemons if you'd like more of a lemony zing to it. One of my New Year's resolutions was to bake more so we're not consuming any shop bought cakes or biscuits. Each weekend we bake cookies and one cake which lasts us through the week, something I always did when I was a child. Saturday was always a big cooking day in our family, Matilda enjoys being in the kitchen though I daresay it is more for the end game of licking that spoon.


Comments